Saturday, July 17, 2004

Tax Season Update 2004

4/27/04

I am amazed of how much has changed in my life over the last 3 years. Once I started to investigate what the law actually says, I have tried to live freedom. It didn't happen until after I was married, supporting my wife and had our son on the way. I wanted to stand on principle and refuse to allow a portion of my property to be taken from me against my will. But in order to do that I would have to quit my job. Not an option for me at that time.

Tax season update.
in this blog I attempt to shine the light of truth on various subjects, of which taxes tend to be rather prominent. I hope that you don't think that I live perfectly in this area. I am currently working towards living free as a nontaxpayer, but right now I still am signing a W4 so that I can work to provide for my family. My family is my first priority. There is nothing wrong with living in the wilderness for a season on the journey to the "promised land". God has blessed us and is continuing to bless us.

Where I am refusing to budge in principle is getting a Social Security Number for my son. I just won't do it.

So this year we decided to go ahead and file the 1040 form. When we got our return it had been changed by the IRS and the deduction for my son had been disallowed. I was of the understanding that they would allow me to claim him even without a number, I was wrong. We are a family of 3, with another baby on the way before this year is over, living on less than $26,000 a year. My wife stays home, our food and rent are paid for. We give 5 times more to charity than John Kerry in a non-election year. But the IRS will not allow me to claim a standard deduction for my son. So instead of getting around $3000 back like many familys I know, jack squat.

I pay more in Social Security taxes than I do for groceries every month. Just something to think about.

If I got my provision from another source than a job it would be much easier to follow the law and take home 100% of what I make.

Job = Indentured Servitude ?

I think that a better analogy would be

Paycheck mentality = Slave mentality