Thursday, September 11, 2003


My name is Robert. I was having breakfast at Joe Junior's in the West Village when a crowd starting to form outside. In short order, we learned the World Trade had suffered some catastrophe. After taking a look at the black gash in the facade of the building, I abandoned breakfast and ran to my apartment across the street and grabbed my camera. It was loaded and ready (I'd just gotton back from Florida several days before).
I snapped a few pictures and saw the second plane in my viewfinder. I snapped it instinctively. I had no idea it was going to hit the south tower.

My camera was trained on the towers when the second plane came into view. The picture I took of the airplane should be in the repository.
As viewed from the north, the plane appeared to vanish. When the building erupted in flame, I still had this "disconnect" in my mind and at first refused to believe the plane I'd just seen hit the building. After a few seconds when the sound wave reached us, it was fairly clear that was what happend.

After my first shot of the fireball, I was frozen like I was in a trance. Everything seemed to be happening in slow motion.
When the sound wave reached us (it sounded just like in the movies, only not so loud---then again, I was probably 2 miles away)....it brought me back to reality and I snapped this picture.